“Will you be my girlfriend?” you whisper under your breath. But you can’t say it out loud yet, because you’re afraid she might say no.
Still, her smile gives you the fuzzies, and when your eyes lock, you feel electric.
Woah! Sounds like you’ve got it bad for this girl – because she’s everything you’ve ever wished for!
You’re looking for the right time to ask her the Big Question: “Will you be my girlfriend?”
In this article, we’ll explore innovative ways to ask a girl to be your girlfriend. We’ll also discuss common signs girls may display when they’re eagerly waiting for you to ask them out. This will help ensure you ask your date at the right time and avoid looking silly in the moment.
So, let’s dive right in!
Signs She Wants to Be Your Girlfriend
Despite what pop culture suggests, girls are simple creatures. They want to be loved, respected, and given due importance. In return, emotionally mature girls will give you their unconditional support with ultimate sincerity.
So, if you two have been seeing each other lately and she’s displayed keen interest in you, that’s a sign she may be looking to take things to the next level, just like you!
Look out for these key indicators she likes you before asking her to be your girlfriend:
- She’s been flirting with you lately – and not just “as a friend” because she doesn’t act this way with anyone else.
- You’ve shared light touches, hugs, and other forms of physical affection together – and she seems to like it just as much as you!
- You have her attention, always, even if you’re in a big crowd.
- She isn’t afraid to speak her mind around you, but trusts you’ll stay.
- You feel it in the air; there’s a romantic vibe you just can’t deny.
- She might even have told you! Think back and ask yourself if she’s ever mentioned you two dating…or more? If so, you’re on the right track! She’s likely just waiting for you to ask “will you be my girlfriend?” so she can say “yes!”
When Should I Ask Her to Be My Girlfriend?
Before asking her to date you, check your calendar. Are there any sentimental or important dates coming up soon?
Here’s a checklist to look out for:
- If you’re in school, check for her and your exam dates. You don’t want to distract someone with a new relationship just before their finals – and vice versa! This also helps in the odd chance she says she isn’t ready for a relationship. If she needs time to think about it (which is also okay), give her the liberty to do so without the looming stress of exams.
- If both of you work, make sure not to ask her out on a day where she’s super busy with her job. The same applies to you. Waiting for the weekend might be smarter.
- Check to see if a sentimental day, like a family member or pet’s passing anniversary is around the corner. If so, it’s best to wait a few days before asking her out.
Once you’ve picked a day that works, you must start preparing to ask the big question!
Let’s explore some helpful tips in the next section:
How Do You Ask a Girl to Be Your Girlfriend?
Most people will tell you it’s crucial to be super confident and “cool as a cucumber” well asking her out.
We’re here to deny that claim.
It’s only natural to feel shy (or even scared!) before asking a girl out.
Especially if it’s a girl you really, really, really like. Moments like that can make any man’s hands tremble.
If so, remind yourself why you’re asking her out in the first place: it’s because you love her!
Love often demands us to be vulnerable with our feelings, which is a big life lesson in itself.
So, acknowledge how you’re feeling, and then tell yourself that it’ll be worth it. If she says yes, you could become the happiest guy around!
On the off chance she says no, or suggests she needs time to think first, don’t pressure her. Girls appreciate guys who respect their boundaries, so tell her that you do! Chances are, she’ll see your respectful attitude and reconsider the relationship. But if she decides it just isn’t right for her, then know that she probably wasn’t the right one for you. But don’t worry! You’ll have many more chances in the future.
But, you’ll never know how she feels until you ask…
Ways to Ask a Girl Out Over Text
Let’s start with the basics: asking a girl out over text is about as straightforward as it gets. It ranks low on the ladder of romanticism, but high on the ladder of ease. It’s quick, relatively simple, and allows her time to think before replying.
Here’s a few flirtatious phrases to lead with:
“Hey [her name], I hope you’re having a good day. I know I am. But do you know what would make my day even better? Having you in it!
So…would you like to go on a date with me? But as my girlfriend?”
“Hi [her name]! We’ve been talking for X weeks now, and I feel a strong connection between us. I know it hasn’t been too long – but I don’t want to wait when I know I’ve found the one.
So, will you be my girlfriend? I promise I’ll make it worth your time!”
How to Ask Her Out in Person
If you’re seeking a more personal approach, try asking your crush out in person.
Pick a date and time that works well. You can even give her a hint in advance, like texting her to say you have an important conversation planned.
Or, you could ask to meet her at a public place that’s not too crowded. The mall, for example, isn’t the best place to ask a girl out. It’s a loud, bustling place that isn’t very romantic. A quieter beach or park, on the other hand, might be better. She will feel safe knowing there’s other people around – but won’t be overwhelmed as long as it isn’t too crowded.
Either way, be sure to don your best outfit! Make sure you look neat, clean, and smell nice. Try going for clothes that are both comfortable yet good-looking.
It’s good to spend time hanging out before popping the big question. Try easing her (and yourself) into the conversation. For example, you can bring up funny or cute shared moments.
This will put her in a good mood, hopefully. If it sours her mood, though, that’s a sign she may not be too interested. But if she seems happy enough,or starts flirting, then continue by confessing your love and intentions. You can then flirt with her back, too!
What Are the Best Ways to Confess Love?
Sometimes, words aren’t enough. Other times, you have the right words in your head…but just can’t say them out loud!
So, if you’re a shy guy, don’t worry. There’s many other ways you can ask to be your girlfriend!
How to Write a Love Letter?
There’s nothing sweeter than a boy or man who’s willing to put his feelings out there.
Love letters are a wonderful way to express emotion, especially if you’re shy in person.
Many guys start feeling extra-shy around their crush, which is totally normal!
A sweet alternative is to put your pen to paper and write about how you feel.
There is no formal template for this; the words must flow authentically. However, a good structure to follow is: wishing her well/saying you hope she’s had a good day, telling her why you appreciate having her around, writing out how you feel about her, and then ending with “will you be my girlfriend?”
Let her know you’re waiting for her reply. She can text, call, or meet you in person to talk. Or, better yet, she can write you a letter back! Then you can keep it as a momento to look back at – isn’t that sweet?
Confessing Your Love with a Gift
But what if writing isn’t your forte, and you’re too shy to give a long, in-person speech?
In that case, you can get her a cute gift to do the talking. (And throw in a note or a few brief words to directly communicate how you feel!)
What Gifts do Girls Like?
Gifts make for an excellent momento. Giving your future girlfriend (wink, wink) a gift when asking her out can help mark the date you two became a couple.
This works best if it’s a wearable gift, like cute jewelry. She can wear it often and be reminded of the time you asked her out.
But picking the right gift can be tricky, especially for such an important day.
Don’t stress though, cause we’ve got your back! Check out these awesome gift ideas to ask her out with:
- “You Are Loved” pink clay mug: Is your crush a cottagecore mug-lover? Does she adore her morning coffee or nighttime hot chocolate? If so, a mug might be the perfect gift! Granted, it’s less romantic than jewelry, but if cooking or coffee are her favorites, she might adore a mug more than anything!
- “You Are Loved” enamel pin: The name says it all! This is a great gift to pair with something else, like jewelry.
- A single plastic rose amongst a bunch of fresh flowers: She can keep the plastic flower long after the rest have wilted. It will remind her of that special moment where you asked her to be your girlfriend. Trust us, she’ll love it! You can also add a card that says “you are loved – so will you be my girlfriend?” to the bouquet!
- A “you are loved” hoodie, so she stops stealing yours.
Custom Handmade Jewelry
Handmade jewelry is an excellent gift option because it can be personalized to match your crush’s style.
Why not opt for a pendant with her favorite flower and name on it?
Or this letter necklace with a customized personal message (like “will you be my girlfriend”) on the inside?
How about these handmade baby’s breath earrings? They contain pressed flowers, so she can keep the “flowers” you gave her forever – in the form of jewelry!
Shop Etsy Rings
The girl of your dreams deserves a ring. After all, this might end up being the girl you marry or settle down with, so don’t shy away from getting her some ring bling!
These freshwater pearl handmade rings radiate luxury and style. They’re adjustable, so you don’t need to worry about finding the perfect size.
Alternatively, you could opt for these daisy chain rings, instead. They contain nylon elastic string, too, and are ideal for any finger size.
If you know her ring size, though, why not gift her a handmade star stone ring, instead? It’s pretty to look at and flaunts a semi-precious stone, too!
All the options cited here are affordable and adorable. But if you’re looking for something higher-end, consider gifting her a dainty moonstone ring, instead. Moonstone is semi-precious, too, but this ring also flaunts a 925 silver base for an elevated sense of luxury.
Or, you can gift her this red heart stone ring, instead. Imagine giving her your “heart” when saying “will you be my girlfriend?” She’ll fall head over heels, for sure!